Welcome and well met to the last article of my brand new magickal series, “Candle Colour Magick 101“! Today, we’ll learn more about black candle meaning, magickal usages, and symbolism!
Grey Candle Meaning & Magick
Resting halfway between both white and black, grey is the magickal colour which most commonly represents the acts of discernment, divination, and neutral aligned energy. Grey spell candles are also often used by most witches or spell casters to serve as a representation for the underworld as well as our own spiritual link to the astral realm.
Grey spell candles also serve as magickal symbols for the peace and certainty of death and the natural order. Grey magick often represents the veil, loss, loneliness, influence both positive and negative, sorrow, and difficult challenges.
However, grey magick can also often represent the balance of life, our dreams, imagination, wisdom, stability, secrets, and guiding spirits. Grey is attuned to divination magick, communication with the spirits or even your ancestors, powerful dream work, enchantment magick, intuition, spiritual growth, and the balance between both life and death.
What Do Grey Coloured Candles Represent?
Grey candles in spellwork often represent a very clarifying and insightful energy that can help us to quiet our busy or worrisome minds, enhance our natural psychic abilities, and assist us in finding that which we seek whether it resides on this plane of existence or on some other.
Grey colour magick embodies neutrality, clarity, and spirituality. This is because the colour grey typically emanates a very calming yet determined sort of magickal vibration. This type of energy or power means that grey spell candles can be used along with purple spell candles to enhance or encourage vivid dreaming as well as in astral work such as projection or planes walking.
What Are Grey Coloured Candles Used For?
Grey candles lend their powerful balancing energy to the spells of witches and casters who may wish to tread lightly along that thin line between this life and the next. These candles can also be used to enhance our organizational skills and coordination, our personal wisdom, to overcome challenges and to calm our own energies.
Grey spell candles can be used to promote concentration, to interpret dreams or nightmares, to divine the future or to make sense of the past. They can help with our adaptability, communication – with both the dead and the living, comprehension of hidden messages, personal intuition, and spiritual awareness.
They may also be used in certain spells to help eliminate indecisiveness, banish negativity, honour our ancestors, draw on the wisdom of those who came before us, or to hone our own intuitions.
These candles are thought to be linked to the Spirit or Crown Chakra and are often used by witches and casters in spells that serve to magickally boost our own connections to the spirit realm, to bolster our mental fortitude, soothe or nurture our own spirits and to cultivate our own sense of inner peace.
Both grey and silver spell candles can be used for spiritual defense, to remove stubbornness either of ourselves or others, to remove obstacles from our lives, or even to divine a new life path. Grey and silver spell candles can also be used to rid ourselves of any negative energies or emotions such as our fear, stress, anxiety, and uncertainty.
What Are Silver Candles Used For?
Silver spell candles especially can be used in any rituals or spell offerings to represent the multitude of powerful lunar and celestial deities that many witches and casters may choose to honour or to work with such as the beautiful moon goddesses Selene or Diana.
In fact, if you choose to work with lunar deities or with the stars, planets or other celestial beings, it is always a good idea to have a couple of consecrated Silver and/or grey spell candles lying around as these coloured candles are often favoured by these deities and will help you to garner their favour or blessings for your magickal rites and castings.
Both Silver and Grey spell candles can even be used to protect as well as cleanse the stagnant energies of a home from any lingering malice or vengeful spirits that may have snuck past your wards! Because of these protective properties, both of these spell candles are often lit by witches whenever they perform their monthly house cleaning and warding rituals – particularly those which magickally align with the phases of the moon.
In fact, both grey candles and silver candles are fantastic for protecting one’s own magickal energy or aura from the corruption of the outside world or from possession and draining by an evil spirit or an enemy caster.
They are even great for certain magickal energy replenishing rituals if you ever start to feel as though your magickal powers or even just your natural mental energy levels have been drained.
Simple Spells Using Grey or Silver Candles
The Gift of Second Sight – A Temporary Spell
This simple spell calls upon the esoteric nature of both grey and purple colour magicks as well as the raw power of elemental fire to grant the caster the unique gift of second sight.
Second sight can be an incredibly useful gift in the magickal world, especially when one is performing divination rituals or whenever working with earth-bound spirits of any kind.
Second sight is a very powerful gift albeit only a temporary one as it requires far too much energy to maintain than this simple spell can muster. Such is a practice that is best left to the more experienced and professional witch.
- 1x Grey or Silver Spell Candle
- 1x Dark Purple Candle
- 2x Wooden Matches (preferably no metal lighters!)
- 2x Candle Holders (of crystal or glass – transparency is key here).
- A Regular or Black Scrying Mirror
- Pure Rock or Sea Salt
- 6-8x Drops of Juniper Berry Essential Oil Blend
- A Sharp Tool (sewing needle, bobby pin, athame, pocket knife, etc.)
1. Begin this simple enhancement spell by setting up and consecrating your workspace in front of your regular or black scrying mirror as per your usual spell routine or magickal traditions. If your practice dictates, now would be the time for you to cast your sacred circle or call in the quarters and to welcome in any helpful spirits or deities that you wish to work with or to watch over you during this rite.
2. Once your space is magickally prepared and you are ready to begin, take the purifying salt and draw a protective barrier or circle around yourself and your ritual area.
3. Clear your mind from all distractions, taking a couple of deep breaths and then quietly dressing your spell candles with the juniper berry oil blend before carefully carving the sigil of the third eye chakra into each candle’s wax with your sewing needle, pin, athame, or a pocket knife. As you carve, concentrate your thoughts on your intent – on what you want your magick to accomplish.
4. After completely dressing each of your spell candles, gently place them in their candle holders on either side of your magick mirror so that the light of their flames will reflect back at you and with these magick words strike your wooden matches and light the wicks of both spell candles.
“Flame of fire,
Flame of light!
Bring me the gift of second sight!
The answers I seek,
show them to me
Bless me now, so that I might clearly see.
As I will it, so mote it be.”
5. Now gaze into not the spell flames themselves but into their reflections shining brightly from your magick mirror. Look deeply into the mirror and watch as the flames bend and sway before you. Focus on the way they move, as if alive with their own energy and magick.
Now close your eyes and watch their imprinted glow dance about in the darkness of your mind’s eye. The spell has been cast! Allow your candles to burn down completely on either side of your mirror and go forth with the gift of second sight! You have until the spell flames flicker out to use your new-found magickal sense before it fades away and returns from whence it came.
Use it wisely.
A Spell to Find Lost Things
This perfectly simple spell is one that I find myself using quite often in my daily magickal and mundane life. It is useful in a pinch when you cannot find your car keys or mobile phone as well as in more complex situations when you are unsure what it is that you lost in the first place – only that something is missing.
The latter instance requires a great deal of practice and magickal experience but it is possible nonetheless!
- 1x Grey or Silver Spell Candle
- A Small Bowl or Saucer of Milk or Cream
- 1x Wooden Match (preferably no metal lighters!)
- A Candle Holder (of any material)
1. Begin this super simple finding spell by gathering a small bowl or saucer of fresh milk or cream and placing it near your hearth, on the mantle, or on your kitchen counter.
2. Beside the saucer of milk or cream, place your grey spell candle in its holder and light it quickly with your wooden match before speaking these words aloud softly:
“Keepers of what disappears,
Hear me now, open your ears…
Find for me,
What I now seek.
Bring it to me, give me a peek!”
3. Leave the spell candle burning near your offering until you find that which you had lost and then gently snuff out the candle and put away the cream making absolutely sure that you say thank you.
(Fair Warning: Many wild fae, especially house Brownies, are very easily offended and will wreak havoc in both your home and your life until proper amends are made.)
And there you have it my dears! The meaning of grey and silver candles and a couple of my favourite super-simple spells to harness the rather neutral and clarifying properties of both Grey and Silver Colour Magick! I hope that you have enjoyed this article and that it helps you along your magickal journey.
This article finally concludes my beginner’s guide to Colour Magick 101 series! If you haven’t already, definitely check out the other eleven articles in this series! May they grant you the knowledge that you seek and help you along on your own unique magickal path!
Clear Skies & Bright Moons,