The Perseid Meteor Shower is a spectacular astrological event that takes place every single year between July 17th and August 13th, with the peak of visible activity occurring sometime in the wee hours between August 11th and August 12th.
Caused by the dust left in the wake of the beautiful Swift-Tuttle comet, the Perseids’s most radiant point appears near the constellation, Perseus, which gives them their names.
This is an incredible time of movement and ancient power that can be harnessed to deliver tons of positive energy and forward momentum to your magick as well as many of your active spells.
Who was Perseus?
The mighty Perseus was one of the greatest heroes of Greek mythology and is most recognizable as the slayer of the dreaded Gorgon Medusa. But, his heroic deeds did not stop there! Perseus also slew the horrific sea monster Cetus and rescued his later-to-be wife the lovely princess Andromeda and her mother queen Cassiopeia – which of course are two constellations that border Perseus in the night sky.
Although this constellation may be categorized as a winter constellation when working with Star Magick, it is no coincidence that this lovely meteor shower takes place during the celebrations of Lughnasadh (Lammas) season.
Naturally, this makes observing and enjoying the incredible Perseids meteor shower a truly fantastic way for us witches and many other pagans to honour and celebrate this magickal time of the year!
The Best Types of Magick & Spells To Cast
Because of his heroic deeds and warrior spirit, the constellation Perseus is often associated with certain magickal energies and emotions such as sudden inspiration, hope, desires, success, power, courage, and even wish-fulfillment (perfect for shooting stars!)
Here are just a couple of magickal correspondences and associated materials to help you get started so that you can prepare for the night’s magickal event:
Associated Herbs & Plants:
Bamboo, Bat’s Head Root, Bay Leaf, Beech Wood, Bergamot, Black Haw, Black Walnut, Buckthorn, Carnation, Cinnamon, Dandelion (Leaves, Petals, & Root), Dogwood, Ebony, Echinacea, Frankincense, Ginger Root, Ginseng, Job’s Tears, Lotus Root, Mugwort, Myrrh, Rowan, Peppermint, Pomegranate, Sage, Sandalwood, Spearmint, Star Anise, Sunflower, Tonka Bean, Walnuts, Willow, and Wormwood.
Associated Crystals & Stones:
Amber, Black Tourmaline, Carnelian, Celestite, Chiastolite, Clear Quartz, Diamond, Goldstone, Labradorite, Lapis Lazuli, Lepidolite, Merlinite, Obsidian, Opal, Pyrite, Red Jasper, Sardonyx, Scolecite, Selenite, Smoky Quartz, Sunstone, Tiger’s Eye, Topaz, Tsavorite, and Turquoise.
Crimson Red, Dark Blue, Gold, Green, and Silver.
The Stars of Destiny Spell
An easy spell that anyone can cast if they know how to focus their energy with intent and they hold a special wish within their heart.
The Things You Will Need/Magickal Materials:
- An Active Meteor Shower or Stary Night Sky (with clear weather)
- A Medium Sized Potion Bottle or Vial Filled 2/3 Full with Fresh Water (make sure that the water is from a source that is safe to drink.)
- Edible Food-Grade Silver and/or Gold Glitter (you can find this at your local bakery supply shop or at some cake stores – do not use plastic or craft glitter!)
- The Juice of One Lemon
- The Juice of One Lime
- Dandelion Petals
- Sugar or Raw Honey (or another sweetener to taste. I prefer to use honey because it is completely natural and the deep golden colour corresponds with both Perseus and with Wish Magick).
- A Splash of Grape or Pineapple Juice (optional but highly recommended)
1. Stand outside under the light of the shooting stars and clear your mind of any distractions. You do not want to weigh yourself down with the worries of the day. Instead, as you look up at the sky and watch the falling stars, I want you to let your thoughts wander.
Take a deep breath and just watch. Allow the stars to show you just how big the universe truly is, how you are just one small yet important part in it all, and how little your worries and fears seem by comparison to all the wonder and possibilities that are out there – just waiting for you!
2. As you watch the streaks of stardust take shape across the dark sky, try to picture each one of them as a new and different path that you could take. By the end of this night, I want you to make a promise to yourself that you will grab hold of one of these metaphorical stars and follow its shimmering trail towards your new destiny.
3. Now, take another couple of deep breaths and refocus your mind on what it is that you hope to change or to gain. What do you wish for? Pour your liquid ingredients into the potion bottle and give them a gentle swirl to mix.
4. After giving the bottle a bit of a swish to mix your potion together, add in the edible glitter(s) and dandelion petals while focusing on your wish and reciting this simple incantation:
“On Destiny’s path, the road of fate,
All barriers before me, I now will break!
Give me a vision so that I might see,
All of the opportunities laid out before me!”
5. Give your potion bottle another little swirl and drink up! Spend the rest of the evening just sitting back and enjoying the beautiful show that mother nature and the universe has in store for you. Allow your heart to swell with the knowledge that you can do anything that you set your mind to!
Let it fill you with joy and wonder! Now, all that is left to do is to follow it through.
Other Magickal Celebration Suggestions
- Make Shooting Star Potion Water
- Create a Crystal Grid in the shape of the Perseus constellation.
- Use the constellation pattern as a sigil of power on your altar.
- Carve the constellation into a wax cube or spell candle and use it for your castings during the event.
- Burn a blend of corresponding herbs and incense.
- Brew a potion or tonic for power, hope, courage, or wishes using corresponding herbs (I like to use dandelion!) and drink it under the stars.
- Make offerings to Perseus and any Greek deities that you may regularly work with.
- Use the cosmic energy of the meteor shower to charge your crystals, talismans, and other ritual tools.
- Create and empower/bless your very own wishing well in the light of the falling stardust. (You can use a bucket, bowl, cauldron, water well, or even that fish pond in your back yard!)
- Grab some folding chairs or a cozy blanket and snuggle up under the shooting stars with someone special. Just enjoy the awe and wonder that our beautiful universe can inspire in us all and know that you are sharing a spectacular moment that people all over the world for centuries have shared together. (Honestly, this is my favourite way to celebrate!)
If you think about it, there is a sort of magick in and of itself when we, as a collective people, look up into that stary night sky filled with wonder – just as our ancestors have done for countless centuries before us- and allow ourselves to just be, and to revel in the vastness and awe-inspiring beauty that is our shared universe.
It connects us, in a way that few other things can. No matter how near or far we are, eventually, we are all under the same stars. Enjoy the festivities witches! Stay safe and Blessed be!
Until Next Time,
Clear Skies & Bright Moons,