Welcome and well met to the third article of my brand new magickal series, “Candle Colour Magick 101“! Today, we’ll learn more about brown candle meaning, magickal usages, and symbolism!
Brown Candle Meaning & Magick
Brown is attuned to animal magick, nature spirits or fae (such as the gnomes), powerful nature deities such as Cernunnos, Earth magick, hearth magick, personal strength, growth, and life balance. Because of this, brown candles have come to represent inner strength, kinship, abundance, the natural order, agriculture, travel, success, fertility, stability, knowledge and spells which seek to triumph over adversity!
What Do Brown Coloured Candles Represent?
Brown spell candles are often used by many witches to represent the animal kingdom and our link to the more natural world. Brown candles also represent a very strong and grounding energy that can help to quiet your busy mind, calm your nerves, or help you to find your center when practising meditation.
Brown colour magick builds strength, stability, and stamina. Brown emanates a very natural and steadfast sort of magickal vibration. It encourages calmness and an understanding of nature while helping the practitioner to feel at ease and completely connected with the world around them!
What Are Brown Coloured Candles Used For?
Brown candles lend their productive energy to spells or rituals that wish to attract wellness, organization, grounded balance, calm energy, promote concentration, and to commune with the elements and inhabitants of nature.
They help with adaptability, communication, comprehension, intuition, and enthusiasm while maintaining a natural sense of balance and respect for the bigger picture.
These candles can be used to assist with the attraction of wealth, the strengthening of friendships, the acceptance of change, assistance in finding or regaining that which has been lost, changing your luck or circumstances, eliminating indecisiveness, and to seek out refuge from the surrounding chaos.
They are linked to the Root Chakra and are often used by witches and casters for spells that serve to magickally boost our sense of self-confidence, courage, strength, and independence.
Brown candles can even be used to rid ourselves of negative energies or emotions such as fear, stress, anxiety, and uncertainty. Brown spell candle rituals or offerings can also be used to give thanks to or to honour the beings and various deities of the natural realm such as Gaia (Mother Earth), Cernunnos, Pan, Faunus, Silvanus, and many others!
You can also use them to rebalance and cleanse the chaotic energies of a home or space.
Or to allow for the redistribution of positivity and constructive energy.
Use a brown spell candle if you find yourself lacking strength or a sense of direction, and for creating or maintaining long-lasting bonds whether they be with humans, animals, or the spirits.
My Favourite Spells Using Brown Candles
Threshold Barrier Spell Wash
This simple spell calls upon the hard-working and steadfast energies of the guardians of Earth as well as of the other natural realms to lend their energies and their efforts to your home, hearth, and family.
Just make sure that you do not forget to thank them often in order to retain their protective gaze and charm.
- 1x Brown Spell Candle
- 1x Light Green Candle
- 1x Metal or Wooden Pail
- 1x Natural Fabric Wash Cloth (such as cotton)
- A Pinch of Dried (or fresh) Lemon Peels
- 3-6x Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
- 3-6x Sprigs of Fresh Mint Leaf
- 5-6x Cloves
- 2x Sticks of Cinnamon Bark
- A Pinch of Dried Rose or Wildflower Petals
- 4x Bay Leaves
- A Pinch of Dried Thyme
- A Pinch of Dried Dill (or 3-6 sprigs of fresh dill if you prefer)
- 4-6x Drops of Orange Blossom Essential Oil
- 2-3x Drops of Juniper Berry Essential Oil
- 2x Wooden Matches (preferably no metal lighters!)
- A Candle Holder of any material (preferably natural such as wood, crystal, or stone)
- Clean Water
1. Begin this elemental protection spell by making an offering to any of the nature or earth deities that you personally choose to work with or revere. Light whatever incense they most enjoy and ask that they lend their power and might to the protective rite you are about to perform.
If you do not yet have, or do not choose to have, a working relationship with any of the divines then you may skip this step however I would recommend that you at the very least make an offering to the faeries and elementals of the natural realm.
Now ring a small bell or chime and place a few freshly picked wildflowers near the jar before calling out softly to the faeries and offering them your gifts. Ring the bell softly once more and then leave as quietly as you came. Faeries do not like to be watched!
2. Return to your sacred space and take your earthy brown spell candle in your hand. Slowly begin to dress your candle by anointing it with a drop or two of orange blossom oil and gently rolling it around in the dried herbs.
The brown candle represents the sturdiness of the earth. It is unwavering in its efforts and makes a fantastic addition to spells that seek to protect from indecision, uneasiness, and the noisy chaos of the outside world.
The element of Earth is strong and powerful. It offers a safe harbour when you fear that there is none. Brown candles serve to bring this same level of protective and reassuring energy into your spellwork. (If you work with both a nature god and goddess, the brown candle can also serve as a representation for the energy of the horned/nature god during this ritual).
3. Once finished dressing your brown spell candle, place it into its holder and begin to dress your light green candle. Slowly anoint your light green candle with the juniper berry oil and lightly roll it around in the dried rose or wildflower petals. The use of a light green spell candle in this ritual serves to attract the light-hearted nature of the faeries and to represent the renewing and protective energy of life and springtime.
Light green radiates with a refreshing and rejuvenating energy that is sure to brighten up any room or home in need. Light green is particularly useful in simple cleansing and protection spells such as this one because it not only has the power to overcome negative energies but also to replenish positive or vibrant energy.
4. Once completely finished dressing and blessing both of your spell candles, place both of them into their holders either on the windowsill, on your altar, or if possible to do so safely – on either side of your threshold (such as on a small table on either side).
5. Strike your matches to light your spell candles and as you do think of all the loving and positive energy that you wish to bring into your home and of any negativity or stagnant energy that you wish to banish.
6. Now gather up the remaining ingredients and add them to the pail with a bit of fresh clean water. Make sure that you add any remaining petals, herbs, or drops of oil to the magickal mix as well! Stir the ingredients gently together in a deosil (or clockwise) motion as you think about all who reside in this home and how you wish to protect them.
7. After mixing up the ingredients in your pail, take your natural fabric wash cloth and kneel before the threshold of your home. Dip the wash cloth into the now transformed potion water, imbued with all of your love and intent as well as the magickally helpful properties of each herb, flower, and oil you added.
8. As you kneel before the threshold of your home, your spell candles each burning quietly nearby, slowly begin to wash and cleanse the sides of the doorframe. As you wash, picture your spell taking shape and erecting a barrier of soft protective light within the doorway.
9. Continue cleansing and marking the frame of your door with this magickal mixture before moving onto the threshold itself – clearly whispering these words aloud as you do so:
“I call to the Sea, Air, Fire, and Earth,
To cleanse and bless this home and hearth.
To drive away all harm and fear,
For only good is welcome here.
And none shall cross this threshold mine,
lest their intentions be true and kind.”
10. Repeat this incantation as you wash, as often as you feel is necessary before standing back and inspecting the protective barrier you just worked so hard to create. You should be able to clearly see it within your mind’s eye if you have done the spell correctly. This softly glowing barrier of positivity, love, and light will protect your home and those who reside within.
11. Dispose of the remains of your washing potion out in the garden where it can happily return to the earth from whence it came.
Renewal of Personal Energy/Power
This very simple spell is one that I personally perform nearly every month on the night of the new/dark moon in order to revitalize my own source of energy and to strengthen my connection to the Earth.
- 1x Brown Spell Candle
- 1x Wooden Match (preferably no metal lighters)
- Natural Candle Holder (optional)
- Fresh Soil/Dirt
- A Small Shovel or Garden Trowel (or your hands if you prefer)
1. On the night of the new or dark moon, take a soothing spa bath to wash off the worries of the day or otherwise mentally prepare yourself for the ritual ahead however best suits your own unique practice.
2. Once ready, make sure that you are wearing comfortable clothes and shoes that can easily be removed if any at all and then quietly head out into the night. Head for the woods or into your garden wherever you can safely find a spot to work with the moon and stars above the head and the cool night soil beneath your feet.
3. Now remove your shoes and set them aside. With your hands or whatever tool you chose to bring with you, gently begin to stir up the earth beneath you. Softly tousle the soil, waking up its soothing energy, before slowly nestling your toes into the dirt. Gently cover up the tops of your toes and feet with the cool earth and close your eyes as you stand there, firmly planted in the soil.
4. Strike your match and light your brown candle. As you watch its spell flame flicker to life, take a deep breath, and just be present in the moment. Look around you as you breathe in the soothing earthy scent of dirt and rocks, roots, and water.
Let nature embrace you in her nurturing hands as you look up to the night sky and stars above you. Allow yourself to be fully present, realizing all at once how incredibly small we all are in this vast universe and yet intrinsically connected at the same time.
5. After meditating for a few moments, refocus your vision and thoughts onto the flickering spell flame before you. As you hold the brown candle in your, most likely dirt-covered, hands softly begin to speak these words, quietly and respectfully yet with clear intent:
“On this Earth is where I stand.
Digging my roots deep in the land.
Fill me with your energy this night,
Fill me with your strength and might!”
6. Now remove your toes from the soil and plant the candle there in your place, firmly packing the earth around it so that it is held upright or placing it in a candle holder if you chose to bring one and burying the holder in the soil.
7. As you bury the candle in the earth where you once stood, try to keep the candle burning (carefully!) as you recite these final words:
“I hereby call all of my power back to me!
Of all other influences may I be free!
As I wish it, so mote it be.”
8. If the candle is in a safe place entirely surrounded by the soil, you may allow it to burn down completely under the light of the stars before returning to bury it fully in the dew of the morning.
If you would rather not leave it till morning, or you do not have a safe enough place for it to burn down, simply snuff out the flame with a bit of dirt and then bury the spell candle remains in the ground at this spot.
Return home, have a relaxing bath and bask in the knowledge that you have not only refreshed your own powerful energy but that you have also connected to the earth mother and the universe in a way that honours our ancient witchy ancestors. Blessed be.
And there you have it my dears! The meaning of brown candles and a couple of my favourite spells to harness the sturdy and protective properties of Brown Colour Magick!
I hope that you have enjoyed this article and that it helps you along your magickal journey. And if you liked this one, just wait until you see what’s coming next in the Colour Magick 101 series!
See you there!
Clear Skies & Bright Moons,