Welcome and well met to the third article of my brand new magickal series, “Candle Colour Magick 101“! Today, we’ll learn more about blue candle meaning, magickal usages, and symbolism!
- 1 Blue Candle Meaning & Magick
- 2 Simple Spells Using Blue Candles
Blue Candle Meaning & Magick
A very spiritual colour, a blue candle can help to awaken the psyche and to assist in the healing of mental and emotional scars.
What Do Blue Coloured Candles Represent?
The art of Blue Magick is one that changes based on the shade of Blue that is used during the ritual or spell. Royal Blue will aid you in developing or maintaining a sense of peace and tranquillity as well as promoting a sense of calm and stillness. All shades of Blue carry gentle, but powerful energy.
What Are Blue Coloured Candles Used For?
Choose a royal blue candle for spells that involve emotional healing, calming nervousness, truth, and justice, or dealing with trust issues and forgiveness. Light Blue carries with it powerful cleansing energy that is best used for spells that are focused on healing, mending broken bonds, and also to dispel any lingering anger in relationships.
Light blue invokes the soothing qualities of the element of Water without its deeper, more dangerous properties. It is the colour of unclouded daylight, and it is fantastic for truth-seeking rituals.
While not exactly a traditional shade of Blue, the beautiful greenish-blue hue of Aquamarine can serve as a powerful ally in the fight against negative or dark energies. Rumoured by sailors in the days of old to bring both good fortune and luck, this stone was often thought to have originated in the treasure chests of mermaids.
Not only does it share many of the same soothing and healing qualities as that of light blue, but it is also incredible at facilitating and maintaining open and honest communication between friends.
This sea-blue colour of a candle can even be used to connect with and honour the Undines and water Fae during a sacred circle ritual or as an offering during faerie festivals such as the Summer Solstice or “Litha”.
Simple Spells Using Blue Candles
Mend a Broken Heart – Open Up to Love Charm
This powerful herbal magick spell takes a very different approach than that of your typical run-of-the-mill love spell by invoking the healing and calm properties of the element of Water and of Blue Magick rather than the fierce and forceful nature of Fire and Red Magick.
This spell addresses any psychological or otherwise subconscious mental blocks that you may be suffering from. It also serves to break down any unhealthy bindings that may be interfering with your heart’s ability to heal or to open up and to receive true love.
Just stick with it! Have courage and know that all wounds will heal with time and that love will find its way to you again.
- 6x Whole Cloves
- A Pinch of Dried Mugwort
- A Small Handful of Lemon Peels (or a few drops of lemon balm)
- 3-5 Drops of Orange Blossom Oil
- 1/4 Cup of Chamomile Flowers (or you can substitute the contents of a chamomile tea bag).
- Rose Petals
- Small Bowl for Mixing
- 1x Royal Blue Candle
- 1x Wooden Match (preferably no metal lighters!)
- 1x Blue or Silver Sachet Bag
- Dark or Royal Blue Thread
- 1x Sewing Needle
- 1x Clear Quartz or Lapis Lazuli
- A Pen with Blue Ink and Parchment or White Paper
- A Small White Feather (optional, however, very useful for helping the heart to feel light again and to soar!)
1. Begin this magickally mending spell by sitting quietly in your room or, if you prefer, go out and take a walk. Try to find someplace quiet where you can sit and be alone with your thoughts for a while and where you can work in peace.
2. Once you feel that you have found the perfect space to cast your spell and are completely relaxed and focused, it’s time to begin.
3. Place your blue candle in front of you and carefully make sure that it is secure (especially if you are outdoors somewhere!)
4. Now, strike your wooden match and watch. Watch as the match burns for a moment, releasing it’s smoke into the wind and summoning the elements of Air and Fire.
5. Feel the Earth beneath your feet and slowly light your blue spell candle calling upon the healing spirits of Water and remaining focused on your magickal intent and the desired outcome for this ritual.
6. Once your spell candle is lit, combine your herbs, petals, lemon peels, spices, flowers, and stones into your small sachet bag. Add the drops of orange blossom and any lemon balm if you are using it and then gently give the bag a shake.
Carefully massage the contents through the fabric releasing the essential oils and imbuing the charm bag with their magickal properties and beautiful aromas.
7. Close your eyes and feel the warmth of your spell candle’s flame. Breathe in the scent of your new charm bag and allow it to soothe you as you begin to let go of all of the hurt or frustrations that you have been holding onto in your heart and mind.
If you’ve had your heart broken recently by a lover or dear friend, take this time to confront these unhealthy feelings and allow yourself the chance to cry or just to feel them. The key is not to hide from the emotional pains but to face them head-on and to know that they can only hold power over you if you give them the energy to do so…
8. Now open your eyes and take the blue pen in your hand. As clearly as possible, write out your truest desires on the paper. This step is completely personal to the caster however do try to be as specific as possible here. Really let your emotions flood onto the page. It can be as detailed as you need it to be or as simple as an affirmation. Such as, “My heart is healed. The pain is gone.” or “Love comes to me and I am home”.
Once done, add any symbols of love, healing, or calm that resonate with you personally and then fold the paper as many times as is necessary to make it fit neatly into the bag although preferably an even number making sure to fold the paper towards your body.
9. Add your spell petition to the charm bag and slowly close it.
10. Take your sewing needle and hold it over the flame of your burning spell candle for a few seconds, repeating your wish out loud or in your mind as clearly as possible.
11. Add the blue thread to the needle, then carefully sew your charm bag shut all the while picturing in your mind your spell’s completion and success as you recite the following words (or whatever comes naturally from your heart at this moment):
“As below, so above,
I release all unseen blocks to love.
As above, so below,
My heart is healed,
True love will flow.”
* For added power, embroider sigils of your faith, healing, or love onto the bag.
12. Snuff out the candle to finish your spell and place this charm bag somewhere special for safe-keeping such as on your person or somewhere in your bedroom, like in your nightstand, under your pillow, or better yet – on your windowsill where it can be charged by the light of the moon.
If ever you start to feel down or just in need of a boost of confidence, light the same spell candle again for a few moments, and hold the charm bag over your heart.
Then return the charm to its safe place and snuff out the candle again. When the candle has burned down completely, your spell should have fully manifest.
If more power is needed or you wish to extend the life of this spell, simply perform the ritual again with a new candle and freshen up any herbs or other ingredients as needed in the charm bag before resealing it with intent and new thread.
A Spell to Uncover Secret Thoughts – Open the Mind
Cast this spell whenever you feel as though your own thoughts being shrouded or whenever you wish to gleam the secret desires of others.
- 1x Dark or Light Blue Candle
- 1x Candle Holder (preferably made of cast iron but brass or crystal will do in a pinch).
- 1x Wooden Match (preferably no metal lighters!)
- Clary Sage Incense (or fragrance oil) for clarity and protection.
- Raw Salt
- Eucalyptus or Tea Tree Oil (or some other scent that you find invigorating and uplifting)
Note: It is vital that this spell is cast in complete and utter silence and darkness aside from the gentle glow of the spell candle once lit.
1. Begin this spell by sitting quietly in your room or sacred space with the door and windows shut completely and all lights extinguished. Create a large circle around yourself and your work or sacred space with the salt in order to form a protective barrier. This spell deals with opening up your mind and third eye and thus protection from negative energies or entities is needed!
Position your blue candle in its cast-iron holder so that it sits securely before you.
2. Light your incense and take a couple of deep breaths and close your eyes. Take a few moments to mentally prepare and to find your center.
3. Now, open your eyes and strike your match. Light your blue spell candle and as you gaze upon its flame speak these words:
“As flame lights shadow and truth ends fear
Open locked thoughts to my mind’s willing ear
May the smoke from this candle, into everywhere creep
Bringing innermost voices to my mind in speech.”
4. As you speak these words, continue to gaze into the flame of your spell candle allowing it to lead you into a sort of trance-like state. Feel the warmth of its glow on your skin. Think of nothing else, allow every thought to slip away as you stare into the spell flame… Now listen. In this dark and deafening silence, a quiet voice should manifest revealing to you what you wish to know. This part of the ritual is entirely personal to the spell and to the individual caster.
Your experience, like your magick, is your own. The voice or voices you hear are unique to you. Perhaps it will be that of your higher self or your divine god or goddess with whom you work most often.
It could be the voices of your ancestors or your spirit guides. It could be anything. The important things to remember here is that once your mind is opened, and communication is achieved, it must remain so for the duration of the spell, and to never leave the salt ring or break the circle until the spell is complete lest you leave yourself open to unwanted connections and negative forces.
5. Once you have learned what you sought to learn. Thank the voice and take the small vial of eucalyptus or tea tree oil etc and carefully breathe in its uplifting scent allowing its high vibrations to shake you safely from your trance-like state. Snuff out the candle and turn on the lights. It is safe to exit the circle now.
Friend or Foe – Trust Spell
A easy spell to divine whether or not someone is to be trusted.
- 1x Pale or Light Blue Candle
- 1x Candle Holder (any material).
- 1x Wooden Match (preferably no metal lighters!)
1. Take a few moments to center yourself and mentally prepare for the spell.
2. Strike the match and light your spell candle while chanting these words:
“As above, so below
Let me know now if they’re friend or foe
To be trusted or to not?
Is it my best interest that they’ve got?
For now, I’ll wait till you show a sign
I know I will see it and the truth will be mine.”
3. Now whisper the person’s name three times and snuff out the flame. You should see a sign within the coming weeks that will give you the answers you seek.
And there you have it my lovelies! The meaning of blue candles and a couple of my favourite spells to harness the soothing energy of Blue Magick! I hope that you enjoyed this article and that it helps you along your magickal journey.
And if you liked this one, just wait until you see what’s coming next in the Colour Magick 101 series!
See you there!
Clear Skies & Bright Moons,